Monday, June 30, 2008

Change idea #10 - hydrogen/electric small cars

Hydrogen cars are one option.
Here is how I have heard hydrogen cars work.
Hydrogen burns, creates energy that runs an electric motor that runs the car. Waste product is H2O. So what you have is an electric car with a different power source. It takes more energy (electricity) to break the bonds of H2O to get Hydrogen, than you get back when you make H2O. So having a hydrogen-powered car costs more energy than running an oil car. If we had 7 times the electricity that we have now then going to a hydrogen-based fuel makes sense (like having solar panels on every home).

But what is first needed is a credible electric car.
I would like to see a one-person electric car that can go 200 miles per charge. 200 miles because I live up north and batteries lose ½ their charge when it gets cold. Since I live 32 miles from work I would like to have a cushion of a few extra miles.

Cut the Smart Car in half and we have a car that is super efficient. I take myself with a lunch with me to work. Why do I need the extra space? Why does anyone need the extra space? Equivalent MPG would be near 100mpg. And I have read that the cost to charge the car would be $.50. You would have smaller car, that has less weight, shuts off at stop lights, is aerodynamic, and would be a perfect commuter car.

I must be still asleep, because this sounds like a dream because it makes to much sense.

No comments: