Saturday, July 19, 2008

Change #16 - Better utilization of land

I live in the Illinois .

When we have gone on vacation out west I have noticed that the median strips are used for growing grass and appear to be harvested by the local farmers.

I realize that growing grass in cities is impractical, but out on the highways it is not. In Illinois and eastern states I have not noticed the practice of growing and cutting “hay” on the highways.

If it was done it would save the taxpayers money. Eliminate politically connected jobs to have someone cut the grass on a regular basis, and cut down on fuel costs to cut the grass. I am sure that the farmers would only cut the grass when it was ready to be cut, and not on a schedule for purely aesthetic reasons. With ethanol becoming more prevalent, grow corn on the median strips. I don't need to see what is on the road coming the other direction. That might even stop the gawkers from slowing down every time anything happens in the oncoming lanes.

At some point in the future every inch of land that can have something grown on it will be utilized. By changing now we get ahead of the curve.

No comments: