Sunday, April 22, 2007

Intersections

Getting older, getting paid salary I do not have to rush to work anymore.
Having a car that has a mpg indicator makes driving a game.
How many mpg's can I get by driving conservatively.
Accelerate moderately, coast to a stop, stay close to the speed limit, use the cruise control are some of the things that I do. In todays world I get passed alot.
What bothers me the most happens at intersections.
Waiting for the light to change many people inch forward, and inch forward and inch forward until they are halfway across the intersection. Then the light changes to green. I sit in my car and yell just run the red light. If someone was coming from the left they would broadside you anyway. You are in such a hurry, just go. And then to piss them off when the light turns green I pass them from my spot behind the white line.
Driving is a game.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

In their defense, they might (probly not) be trying to re-activate the sensors embedded in the pavement. I do it when a light seems to be taking too long. And often enough, it changes yellow for opposing traffic.

Most lights have been changed from timed lights to demand lights. The nifty little calculators know if no one is in a left turn lane and skips that part of the cycle. And so on...

I like 'em just fine. Plus they actually save fuel by not stopping traffic any longer than necessary.

Now if we'd get more roundabouts (traffic circles) in rural areas, we might have fewer T-bone accidents and save more lives...

Stardust said...

In their defense, they might (probably not) be trying to re-activate the sensors embedded in the pavement.

Not from what I can tell. People in our Chicago area are in a big damn hurry. They see a red light ahead and instead of slowly coming up to it, they fly up to the light like a bat out of hell.

People are impatient. My mom does this thing where she is at a light and keep inching forwards and inching forwards because she is anxious to get going.

People are "me first" and don't even wait their turn at 4-way stops. When you are driving the speed limit they are up our ass as if trying to push us to go faster, then they get frustrated and gun the car around us, giving dirty looks or the finger and cutting us off to make a point that we are not driving fast enough for their liking. (Then we usually end up right behind them at the next stop light...then we get on their ass).

Yep, driving is a frustrating game.